Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Cheung!

My friend Jenn came over for breakfast on Sunday and ordered a birthday card for her mom. I've known Jenn for 10 years now since we worked together way back in the day. Both Jenn and her mom love shopping as much as I do and they're both very fashionable ladies. She wanted something cutesy and stylish so I knew I was going to use one of my bellas. I decided to use cuppacakeabella because it perfectly combined the two elements. I decided to cut up this Cosmo Cricket dp and use a gorgeous adhesive paper ribbon that I've been saving for...this occasion?! ;)

I stamped the sentiments from two different sets and the teal ink matches the dp way better to the naked eye than it photographed. After I paper pieced bella's dress, I suddenly had this brilliant idea of using foil for the cupcake base and I don't know why I never thought of it before. Maybe because the ink doesn't adhere to it at all? LOL I ended up smudging the lines when I paper pieced it and figured out that it would either take (a) forever to dry or (b) never ever dry so I used a Sharpie pen to go over the lines. There is one tiny spot where I slipped so oopsy on the little booboo but thankfully it's hard to notice unless you look very closely. Having said that, I really need to stop pointing out my mistakes. :Þ It took me forever to decide what to do with the icing on the cupcake but I decided to go with alternating kraft and plain cottonwood for swirly double-flavoured icing. Yum! To finish off, I added crystal effects to the cherry and vanilla portions of the cupcake.

Sources: The Paper Company cottonwood, DCWV sweet stack & SBD kraft cardstock; Cosmo Cricket Girl Friday Wednesday & Provo Craft paper; The Japanese Paper Place origami foil; Sharpie fine black pen; Stamping Bella cuppacakeabella; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; HOTP (Happy Birthday); Verve Because Of You (Mom); SU Taken With Teal ink; Copics; SU Crystal Effects; K&Company Wild Saffron adhesive paper ribbon; SU scallop oval punch & large oval punch; Fiskars Nostalgia corner edger; dimension squares

2 comments:

Silli said...

Hello Emily..., I love your card, I love that paper and the sweet image... Funny work... Hugs and happy day. Silke

Cindy Haffner said...

Love your cupcake Emily!!